About Us‎ > ‎Meeting Minutes‎ > ‎2017‎ > ‎

07-July

The Bellefonte Historical Railroad Society (BHRS) monthly membership meeting was called to order at 7 PM July 10, 2017 by Tom Canich.  The meeting was temporarily relocated to the gazebo at Talleyrand park due to a scheduling conflict in the train station.  A sign was posted to the train station door informing attendees of the relocation.  Present were members Tracey Besemer, Andy Cobaugh, Andy Richards, Gene Tucker, Cody Martin, Ken Dishman, and Steve Dillon, and guests Sally Houser (HBI) and Joe Shannon.

June meeting minutes were presented.  Gene moved to accept, seconded by Andy Cobaugh; the motion carried.

The Treasurer reported an opening balance of $48,404.28 with $4,391.97 in the caboose/snow plow fund.  Dan Durachko was reimbursed $111.61 for expenses related to the new speeder.  $580 was received in membership dues and donations.  We also received $1924.85 in dues, donations, and a significant match from the CentreGives campaign.   The Treasurer would like to encourage potential donors to time their donations to leverage that stretch pool.  We generated $1387 in revenue from the June speeder events.  We paid various bills and renewed our Central Pennsylvania Convention and Visitors Bureau (CPCVB) membership.  Closing balance for June is $47,550.86 in the general fund, no change to the caboose/snow plow fund.  Cody moved to accept the report, seconded by Steve; the motion carried.

The Web master reported 756 sessions in the previous month.

We discussed placing an ad in the Central PA visitor's guide.  Sally Houser presented information related to advertising in cooperation with her efforts.  Historic Bellefonte, Inc. (HBI) has made $1,500 available to us for ads out of the local market provided we include a statement about HBI and CPCVB support; print ads must carry the HBI logo.  All ads must be invoiced to HBI to receive the supporting funds.  Sally provided a handout with information about advertising.  A 1/8 page ad in the visitor's guide costs $525 for full color, $393 for 2-color.  Ken moves we purchase a 1/8 page full color ad, seconded by Gene; the motion carried.

The Roland Curtin Foundation (RCF) is putting on a "kid's day" at Curtin Village and has invited us to operate speeders at the event.  The event is August 5 11 AM - 4 PM.  Andy Richards will talk to Jeff Stover about using the main line tracks to operate our equipment.

The Bellefonte Fall Festival as October 14, halloween parade October 28.  We will be operating excursions October 27, 28, and 29.  We agreed to table discussion of speeder rides at the Fall Festival for our August member meeting.

No report on the caboose or snow plow.

The rehabilitation of Rail Diesel Car (RDC) #9167 continues.  We have paid $311,657.91 to the contractor and received $291,495.39 from PennDOT.  Our out-of-pocket expenses to date are $20,162.52.  HVAC repairs and return transportation costs are outstanding.  Car movement was part of the original bid and cannot exceed the bid amount.  The contractor recommended a switch to R134A refrigerant in conjunction with our changes to the HVAC compressor.   We have approved this and Andy Cobaugh will ask for a detailed update and timeline on completing the project.  Andy will also open a discussion around working with Norfolk-Southern to transport the car back to Tyrone.

We will have Lemont work parties in the Fall to repair the retaining wall near the granary and place new ties.  Gene is investigating tie suppliers.  We can carry up to 25 ties in 2 trailers.  Andy Richards will supply Gene with the details of our last tie order.  We discussed working with North Shore Railroad (NSHR) to buy some ties as part of their next order.  Gene will talk to his contacts at the Walkersville railroad about borrowing or buying a compressor and air tampers.

Joe Shannon was a guest at our meeting.  He is interested in railroad history and is looking for photographs of the old station located near the modern police station and Gamble mill.

Gene offered his thanks to all who helped build and dismantle the temporary track used during the Bellefonte Cruise for pump car operations.

Centred Outdoors had various displays in Talleyrand park on July 9.  BHRS was represented during this 3 hour outreach event.  A second event is scheduled Wednesday, July 12 6-9 PM.  Volunteers are needed to staff the July 12 event.

We noted a need for space to work on the caboose.  Andy will again try to contact Titan park about acquiring space.

Andy Cobaugh moved to adjourn, seconded by Steve; the motion carried.  Meeting adjourned 8:35 PM.
Comments