Bellefonte Historical Railroad Society (BHRS) #9153
Budd Company | Rail Diesel Car | Serial Number 7001
Budd Company's Rail Diesel Car (RDC), serial number 7001, was built in November of 1962, in Philadelphia. It was bought by Reading Company (RDG) and became #9153. When RDG became Consolidated Rail Corporation (CONRAIL), this RDC was given to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA), where it served until 1984. This RDC was then sold to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) in June of 1985 and was retired in November of 1989. Bellefonte Historical Railroad Society (BHRS) purchased this RDC in 1991, refurbished it, and placed it back in service.
Click here to learn more about Budd Company's Rail Deisel Cars!
|Consolidated Rail Corp.||#9153||Unknown||Unknown|
|SE PA Transportation Auth.||#9153||Unknown||03/1984|
|MA Bay Transportation Auth.||#9153||06/1985||11/1989|
Bellefonte Historical Railroad Society (BHRS) #9167
Budd Company | Rail Diesel Car | Serial Number 5718
Budd Company's Rail Diesel Car (RDC), serial number 5718, was built in March of 1953. It was bought by the New York, New Haven & Hartford ("New Haven," reporting mark: NYNH&H) and became #40 (see above photograph). Due to the merger of Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) and New York Central Railroad (NYC) into Penn Central Transportation Company ("Penn Central," reporting mark: PC), and then NYNH&H into Penn Central in 1969, the RDC came under the control of PC and served as #98. In 1972, it was sold to a dealer. Between 1975 and 1976, the RDC was leased to the Baltimore & Ohio. In 1976, it was sold to Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT). PennDOT refurbished the RDC at the Reading shops where it became #9167. It was then used as an extra train to Valley Forge during the Bicentennial. It was given to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA). In 1984, the RDC was given to the Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission where it was held at Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania until April 2008. It was loaned to Bellefonte Historical Railroad Society (BHRS) in 1984 and rehabilitated in June 1985. It has been in service for BHRS ever since. In April of 2008, title of the car was transfered to BHRS.
|New York, New Haven & Hartford||#40||03/1953||1969|
|Penn Central Transp. Co.||#98||1969||1972|
|Baltimore & Ohio (lease)||1975||1976|
|PA Dept of Transportation||#9167||1976||1976|
|SE PA Transp. Auth.||#9167||1976||1984|
|PA Historical & Museum Comm.||#9167||1984||04/2008|
Bellefonte Central Railroad Snow Plow #100
Russel Snow Plow Company | Snow Plow
Former Bellefonte Central Snow Plow #100 is on display in Talleyrand Park next to Bellefonte Train Station. Built by The Russel Snow Plow Company, in Ridgway, PA, sometime near the turn of the 20th century, it was acquired, second hand, by the BFC in 1924 from an unknown source. BFC installed a flanger apparatus, which it purchased new from Russel, and also rebuilt the cupola. The railroad also made other updates, in later years, including a significant modification of the plow blade sometime in the 1940s. Both the snow plow and BFC caboose #103 were purchased by BHRS in 1987 when the final assets of BFC were sold off. A partial restoration of the plow was completed in 1997, and BHRS is currently raising money to fund a thorough historical renovation of the plow and caboose.
Bellefonte Central Railroad Caboose #103
New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad | Caboose, class NE
On display in Talleyrand Park next to Bellefonte Train Station, is Caboose #103, which was acquired by Bellefonte Central Railroad, in 1960, through Rail Industrial Equipment Company of Landisville, PA. The caboose was built at the Readville shops of the former New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad (NYNH&H), as one of 269 class NE cabooses built, circa 1922. It has a wooden superstructure and steel underframe. BFC applied exterior sheeting and painted it gray & green to match its two locomotives.
Caboose #103 brought up the rear of the last train BFC ran to State College, in July of 1974. It was removed from service soon after the abandonment of the line to State College, as it got in the way when the railroad shifted cars at its last remaining customer, the National Gypsum plant. Both the caboose and snowplow were purchased by BHRS in 1987 when the final assets of BFC were sold off. A partial restoration of the caboose was completed in 1997 and BHRS is currently raising money to fund a thorough historical renovation of the plow and caboose.
Bellefonte Historical Railroad Society (BHRS) Track Car #1
Bellefonte Central | Track Car
Bellefonte Historical Railroad Society (BHRS) Track Car #2
Pennsylvania Railroad | Fairmont M-9
Bellefonte Historical Railroad Society (BHRS) Track Car #3
Fairmont Railway Motors, Inc, | M19, Series E Inspection Car
For a video of this speeder in action, click here.
Click here for Service Manual